10.02.2005

they never saw the sign

I got to check out the upcoming Gravenhurst LP, Fires in Distant Buildings, today. It's a far fling from Talbot's last album, as he seems to be consciously striving to get away from the Nick Drake comparisons and represent his more prominent influences, namely Husker Du and Sonic Youth. Naturally, I don't like this shift a whole lot. What made Flashlight Seasons so affecting was its naked beauty, in both lyrics and instrumentation. You know that it's intensely personal, yet he pulls it off with such delicateness and melodic knowhow that it never once strikes you as pathetic (see: Elliott Smith. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Elliott, but the last thing we need is another one of him in sheep's clothing). Fires, in contrast, is far from delicate. The production is more lo-fi with plenty of distortion and power-chord-ish riffs. It also does not come off as immediately personal at all. For one, the lyrics are far more engaged in storytelling than his previous stuff. What's more, two of the eight tracks are entirely instrumental, and another two are mostly instrumental.

I'm not a huge fan of instrumental rock.

Complaints aside, I don't dislike the album. As bad as the Gravenhurst-meets-post-punk thing sounds in theory, he pulls it off with a great deal of believability. And of course, I'm not going to react very favorably to such a drastic shift from one of my favorite albums of the decade so far. I think there's a lot more to be discovered in Fires, so I will keep you updated on what I find.

In the meantime, you should still listen to Flashlight Seasons if you haven't already. This new Gravenhurst made me nostalgic for the old, so of course I played it the whole way through. It hasn't lost anything. It's SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

***

I finally got around to getting the M.I.A./Diplo collabo Piracy Funds Terrorism. Anyone else think it's way better than the frequently annoying Arular? I love the Braza Funk!! It makes me want to check out Diplo's other delvings into Brazilia. I bet they're damn good.

listening: "Louven" - Shipping News

3 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the cookie crumbles
Editor's Note: Here is a taste of our All You Can Eat blog. If you're hungry for more, visit http://extras.insidebayarea.com/blogs/allyoucaneat. A home just isn't the same when there are no homemade cookies in ...
#1 in home based business 2 years in a row.With the best marketing tools available.Work-at-home-tonight.com has it all!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger ian said...

My eyes are blurring with tears. I can't decide if it is my contacts being three days old or me crying about how much music you listen to. Enjoy the Silence. PLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Vic said...

DuUuUuUdE!!! NEVA!! i demand to be buried with my iPod!!!

btdubs, i got Diplo "Favela Strikes Back". OMG I feel like I am in Rio all over again, but this time I'm getting way more ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home