11.08.2005

children talking

APHEX TWIN. Aphex Twin. Aphex Twin. Aphex Aphex Aphex Twin. Aphexaphexa twin. Twin aphex twin APHEX twin aphex twin!

Everything I could say right now about Aphex Twin has already been said (except for as described above. totally original, I swear). But there's so much to say about Aphex Twin that hasn't been said. I simply couldn't say any more than anyone else can. Really, I can't come close to expressing about Aphex what I know exists deep inside his twisted barrages of sound, smacks and pops and strings of song.

Which is probably why there is so much that hasn't been said about Aphex in critical musical lit... because it's nearly impossible to verbalize the intricacies of shape and density and timbre in even ten seconds of his wildly beautiful sonic architecture, not to mention the wide array of images conjured and emotions felt and visceral impulses that it imbues in you. Do I talk about how the melodic rhythm counterpoints so vibrantly and unexpectedly with the ocean of polyrhythms swimming underneath? Or how it just makes you want to DANCE DANCE MOTHERFUCKER DANCE SHATTER YOUR TORSO ON THE NEAREST WALL SHAKE CRUMBLE BURST?

Either way, writing about it doesn't come close to experiencing it. I mean, you could say that about most music, but the descriptive/experiential gap with Aphex's music is like a fucking canyon. My comfort in not being able to convey this is based on one fact which I am 100% sure of, and it is that my Aphexian reverence will be vindicated when the efforts of Richard D. James will be considered alongside the likes of Steve Reich and John Cage. There are my words. Mark em.

Hooray for the Hangable Auto Bulb release! It is glorious, as expected. Now they just need to get the Analord series on CD.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger ian said...

Dude I totally got Hangable Auto Bulb on the day of its release. It is so damn good!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger ian said...

Dude I got Hangable Auto Bulb on the day of its release! It is sooo good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home