11.05.2005

what will i learn

Late fall, and I'm finally getting in the mood to listen to Grizzly Bear's Horn of Plenty and Hood's Outside Closer. They both remind me of The Notwist, which I have been growing nostagic for lately, so it only makes sense.

Speaking of which, I am growing nostalgic for my great albums of the past. I don't know about you, but it seems to me that 2005 was filled with an abundance of really solid albums, but few truly AMAZING albums. And I've been missing that experience. So, many returns to Grace and Greetings from Michigan and such.

Notwithstanding, I've been randomly observing this exceptional 2005 album(s?): Extraordinary Machine by Fiona Snapple is a great great great classic pop album for the traditional types. That is to say, it's heavy on the substance and fairly skimpy on the style (sort of vice-versa the popular/indie-approved "good music" these days).

I've found I like the Elizondo and Brion versions equally. It's quite simple to me, really... Elizondo produced the summer version, Brion the winter version. Each album caters to a different mood and atmosphere. Elizondo's is more flighty & wistful, pop-tastic, and structurally tight (unfortunately, it's also frequently tactless and emotionally distant). Brion's is more dramatic, tense, and thoughtful (but often overcontrolled, lacking a pop sensibility, and misses the forest for the trees). What to do? How to make up for the stylistic lamenesses?

Mix & match, y'all! I like the Elizondo tracklisting better...
1. Extraordinary Machine (Brion)
2. Get Him Back (Elizondo)
3. O' Sailor (E)
4. Better Version of Me (B)
5. Tymps (E)
6. Parting Gift (E, obv)
7. Window (B)
8. Oh Well (E)
9. Please Please Please (B)
10. Red Red Red (E)
11. Not About Love (E)
12. Waltz (B)
bonus:
13. Oh, Sailor (B)
14. Oh Well (B)

I had to include both versions of "O Sailor" and "Oh Well" because they are both incredible in their respective ways. Also love the Elizondo "Window" and the Brion "Get Him Back," but you win some you lose some, I guess....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home